Substantial portions of Grand Ave in mid and south city will be getting a makeover this year. Among them is the stretch of Grand from Park Ave to Chouteau Ave. Here’s a quick recap of the $2 million streetscape project:
- Landscaped medians will be installed similar to the medians between I-44 and Arsenal.
- Two lanes in each direction will continue to be provided plus the occasional turn lane. For northbound Grand Ave at Chouteau Ave, a right-turn lane will be added; left turns, however, will continue to be restricted.
- Almost all sidewalks will be replaced with new exposed aggregate concrete and accessible curb ramps. The only sidewalk not slated to be replaced is the section adjacent to SLU’s Health Science Center.
- Dedicated bike lanes will be added to both sides of Grand for the entire project stretch. With the improvements already/soon to be made along South Grand Ave between Arsenal and McDonald, Grand seems poised to become a major bike corridor in St. Louis.
- All on-street parking will be removed.